Derp...I get the overheating mechanic now. And I have internet opinions!

Embarrassing to share, but I completely disregarded overheating until the 3rd provence out of sheer ignorance. As in, I paid no attention to the visual indicators on the timeline and would queue firing and boosting back to back - then wonder why my mechs felt so spongy and seemed to always be taking damage. If there was a tool-tip in the tutorial, I missed it or somehow forgot.

In one battle I actually destroyed my own unit by boosting repeatedly for an entire turn “because I needed to cover more ground”. I chalked it up to a collision detection bug and stuck to my high-heat ways.

Interesting part:

• Scraped through the first half-dozen battles with a damage taken/inflicted ration of almost 1:1
  • I felt a difficulty spike, and decided to pay attention to UI more closely
  • First battle where I managed heat, my ratio improved to about 1:2
  • The game became MUCH more fun and tactical, carefully balancing retreat/cover/shields and optimal range attack bursts - occasionally taking heat damage intentionally to squeeze out that extra shotgun blast

Suggestion:

• Add an audio cue? Is there one already?

Reflections:

• The tension between attack and defense reminded me of the best aspect of 2D party RPGs (“BattleChasers: Nightwar” by Airship Syndicate is a modern take on the genre).
  • The planning with “perfect information” (enemy turn telegraphing) reminds me of the best part of “Into the Breach” by Subset Games. I love and hate ITB. Love it because it makes me feel smarter than a professional Chess player sometimes, hate it because it ruined any game with random hit chance for me (cough modern XCOM cough).
  • PB’s resource management metagame reminds of the best part of “Front Mission 5” by Square Enix: building mechs! Few things in life are as satisfying as a war of attrition fought through incremental upgrades.

Constructive criticism:

• Maybe it’s just because I’m early in the game, but I see no need to specialize members of my team. Without skills or leveling, pilots are interchangeable cannon fodder. Seems that’ll be addressed in an update. But why field a team with varied loadouts? I don’t see an opportunities for the units to complement each other - it’s more fun for me if they have diverse weaponry, but I don’t see tactics that require it?

Anyway, now that I get how to play PB (or at least have a grasp on a core mechanic): it’s a fresh take on turn-based tactics and I can’t wait to see how it develops!

1 Like

It’s fair to say that without unique pilot skills or attributes, there is no reason to put any particular pilot in any particular mech. However, the reason to bring a varied loadout is so that you can apply your strength against the enemy weakness no matter what they bring. Your fast assault rifle mech can safely engage an enemy shotgun mech by staying outside of its range. Your shotgun mech can mop up cannon tanks by staying inside their effective range. Your sniper can punish enemies with machine guns because that machine gunner stops moving to fire.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying! Makes sense - I hadn’t really checked enemy effective ranges.

Those scenarios are still 1v1 duels though, I guess I miss the explicit team tactics of games I’ve played before. To give two examples:

• Front Mission (equipment-based): one unit carries a sensor backpack, sacrificing weight/offense but extending range for other missile-equiped unit.

• Battlechasers (skill-based): one party member can cause status effects that allow another to gain extra heal for each affected enemy.

That might change once missiles and artillery comes out as those might have more positives and negatives. Most of the fights are pretty easy right now with one exception that after multiple attempts I had to just admit I couldn’t win with my current set-up and equipment level.

Quite welcome! Perhaps in the future, there will be equipment or something that lets you more directly affect your team mates. With your only verbs right now being move, shoot, and guard, your options for teamwork rely very heavily on positioning and target selection.

Focusing fire is the simplest team tactic; I’ve taken an enemy mech from full heath to destroyed in single full-team salvo, though that is a rare situation to set up.

Bait-and-switch or round-robin is my go-to solution. Each pilot maneuvers to foul enemy shots (so the enemy fires into buildings or hillsides) while targeting an enemy that is not firing on them. Bonus points if that pilot can trick their attacker into facing away from one of my other pilots.

Using a shield mech to interpose and block shots intended for a teammate is another option.

You can even use the above to trick enemies into attacking themselves. (Warning this can also happen to if you forget where you are moving units hahhahah)

You can actually can do these maneuvers now just by using the move command in short intervals. I do this a lot.