So a few things
Citizens vs Employees
- You have 2 types of ‘people’. Citizens and Employees.
- Citizens are what you buy with influence from the starport. Currently the only thing citizens are used for by themselves, is to generate revenue for you in either a Monetization Pod or an Office.
Think of citizens as “Tourist you’re trying to get to buy into your timeshare” . And by “timeshare” we mean “indentured servitude to the Council”
- To increase the total amount of citizens you can have, you must build Habitat Pods, or Residential Buildings
- Then you have Employees. You start out with 7 as you pointed out
- To increase the totally number of Employees you can have, you must build Conversion Capsules. Each Capsule increases your total Employee count by 3 or so.
- To gain new Employees you must convert Citizens into employees
- To convert a citizen to an employee you must pay in “Artifacts”. Each Artifact allows you to convert 1 citizen
As such you’ll be converting citizens into employees to keep your workforce up. But at the same time you need to keep buying citizens from the starport both for generating credits and for future employee conversions
Expanding your Borders
- Initially your HQ has a radius around it where it has influence
- inside that influence you can survey ruins and purchase land for influence
- You can upgrade your HQ to increase your initial radius
- To expand further you must use “Command Centers”. These are in the Military section of building
- Command centers like the HQ, have a radius of influence though its much smaller than an HQ’s radius
- To expand the Command Center’s radius of control, upgrade it. You can upgrade up to level 3
- Note Command Centers need POWER too. You’ll generally need to daisy chain Power Pylons and Command Centers to expand your radius
- As you expand your borders you’ll eventually run into small rebel bases
- These are identifiable via the red tiles they occupy
- Note to ‘defeat’ a rebel base, you only have to convert the “Rebel HQ” building.
- Note I think that rebel ships actually come from OFF MAP. meaning that while each rebel base seems to have a starship port where all those rebel ships are coming to kill you are coming from, in reality they don’t seem to actually rise up from the rebel bases themselves, so you can ‘save time’ by just convertin the “Rebel HQ” building and then move on
Hope that answers your questions