Some 1.24 bugs

Patch: 0.1.24 (16401-v258-s)
Seed: 1450380386

1. Trucks get stuck on roads.

I think this one has been around for a while, but it seems different to me this time. Before I would see stuck trucks on the road, but they didn’t count as in use according to the transit hub. The truck in this screenshot is non-responsive and stuck at its position on the road, but it seemingly counts as in use on the transit hub.

The same time that this happened it seems that all other truck traffic on the road stopped. I could not find a way within the game to restore truck activity. Reloading the save resulted in the visual appearance of the truck disappearing, but there is still a truck permanently in use according to the transit hub gui. It appears that 1 worker is also permanently idle.

That said, this patch seemed to have the best truck performance since the first TT release on experimental. Can’t wait to see them continue to stabilize!

1. Some buildings get stuck in construction waiting for resource delivery.

I’ve seen several instances of buildings stuck with n-1/n minerals or isotopes delivered. I think this is related to trucks because I’ve only seen it happen with a transit/road network active. Cancelling the building and reordering construction fixes the issue. Without cancelling all workers will do their other tasks and will eventually idle, and no jobs are visible on the job management screen (this is expected behavior with no other commands being issued).

1. Trucks frequently make several trips carrying only 1 (or maybe 2) items instead of a full load.

This doesn’t seem to be because a source only has 1 or 2 items (the storages in this case sometimes have 10’s or 100’s of minerals, but the truck will leave carrying just 1 and make several trips to the destination. I’m not sure if this is because of some kind of competitive queuing where other workers are claiming the job before the truck calculates how many resources to bring or something else. It seems like this could be expected/currently intended behavior, but it would be nice to see trucks prioritized over employees when possible so that they carry full loads of materials.

1. Deconstructing transit hub and rebuilding results in old trucks somehow being preserved.

This could be intentional since you don’t get refunded credits for any trucks built when you deconstruct a transit hub. Dismantling and rebuilding is something i try to see if it fixes other aberrant truck behavior, but it seems like things often get worse after rebuilding.

1. Haven’t encountered any CTD this build. Hooray!

2. After reloading a game the enemy camp status and next attack time UI elements are missing. This results in the next enemy attack being a complete surprise.

3. Storage desynchs still exist. At game time of 3:02:22 all 3 resource values are inaccurate. Currently the UI is reporting that I have less total waste than the sum of each buildings storage. Waste is underreported in the UI by 8. Minerals and Isotopes are both off by 1 (UI reports 1 less than storage).

4. Parked trucks are invisible.

According to the UI I should have 5 parked trucks, but only 1 truck is visible in total across 3 different transit hubs.

2 Likes

[X] All of the above!

Oh and the memory leak introduced with 1.16 is still there.

Regarding the transportation AI:

It looks to me as if in addition to the above points once you start building roads “everything” breaks. Resources won’t get picked up, mines not being emptied stuff doesn’t get build etc.

I have a save where i didn’t build any roads/hubs and everything works fine. As soon as I use roads the whole transportation system is F*ed up. Also the memory leak happens much more frequently when roads are involved (it happens without roads too but not as often).

Memory/Performance:

Watching taskmanager (my new best friend while playing IoT :stuck_out_tongue: ) it seems to me that the game is hell-bent on limiting memory usage to about 3.5GB at most. This behavior was introduced with EXP 1.16 and seems to have a serious impact on game performance.

As soo as your city gets bigger and your slave… err employee-count reaches about 50 you start noticing stutters. When you get to 80 or so building stuff gets REALLY annoying. The game freezes (“not responding” in taskmanger) and after some time it starts reacting again. It looks like the more resources/workers are involved in a task (buils wastebin = 2 resources/workers, build monument=30+3) the longer the freeze lasts. I had to wait literally 2 minutes for the game to come to life again after filling a factory floor with energy stuff in pause mode.

Ofc. I don’t know the exact mechanisms but from my point of view the allocate resources -> assign workers to move resources logic is having some serious trouble while trying to stay within the self imposed memory limits. Sometimes these memory-walls break and the memory-leak shows itself.

This was not present in 1.14 or earlier, the game would use up to 8GB (from memory, can’t test this anymore) and none of the aforementioned performance issues.

Attached savegames:
116Hard was created (surprise :smiley: ) with 116 and contains a NoRoads save (where moving stuff works)
the other game was created using current patch1.24 (exp). The screenshot above was made from this game (memleak).

GameData.7z (1.4 MB)

One more thing: When deleting save-points the associated .png filed don’t get removed.

Edit: Sytem Specs, i think my PC should be able to handle this game:

Ryzen 3900x on x570 board
64GB Ram
2080Ti

1 Like

Update to my previous post:

After another forced restart of the game (mem leak again) everything seems to be “fine” at first but after a short time the stutters/freezes are back.

On a positive note it looks like the transportation (moving stuff around) is working for now.

Update 2:
While moving resources still seems to be working the AI decides that almost always it’s better to move them “by hand” instead of using trucks despite the source and destination tile being connected by roads. 40 trucks idling and 100+ slaves moving things.

Hey @Billio, thank you very much for your detailed report and for your encouragement!

1. Trucks disappearing and trucks stuck “in use” are something that should be fixed in upcoming patches but I’ll be sure to keep my eye out for this, it seems like it can have multiple causes which is why it’s tough to track down.
  2. This is also something we’re aware of but we’re trying to track down why it’s happening. We suspect it has to do with a storage discrepancy.
  3. You’re right that this has to do with how truck pathing interacts with worker pathing. Its logic is something that we will be revisiting to improve soon!
  4. I wasn’t able to reproduce this one. Would you mind elaborating on what happened? (Are you building a hub, buying trucks, dismantling, and building again? Is the hub connected to a road or power when you do this? Was this with an upgraded hub? Were trucks parked when you dismantled?)
  5. Wahoo!
  6. I was able to reproduce this! Nice catch!
  7. Storage discrepancies are a continuous struggle since they tend to have multiple causes. If you have any specific reproduction information it would be greatly appreciated!
  8. This is known and should be fixed soon.

Thanks again for your report! And sorry that you’re running into the memory leak so much @R-Type. The details you provided and your save file are greatly appreciated!

Regarding #2: I haven’t seen the problem happen until trucks/roads are built. I’m not certain but I think its also only occurred on construction projects adjacent to a road (where a truck could deliver). It always felt like maybe the last truck load of materials was never dispatched, but somehow the job system thought it was.

I wasn’t able to reproduce #4 in a new game either. I think it could likely be tied to the disappearing in use truck thing. When I noticed this as part of my previous report the stuck truck bug had already happened. In my new game, no trucks were stuck and the truck numbers seemed to make sense. I had previously built then rebuilt on the same tile with only 1 hub in the network and saw that the rebuilt hub had a total of 2 trucks, the one it came with, and likely the one stuck in use. I did not test this with upgraded hubs, but i did have at least one lvl 1 and one lvl 2 hub in my game from the original report.

During testing the transit hub I ended up having my trucks driving empty from storage to a smoke stack over and over when there werent mineral hauling jobs to do.

Thank you for those details!

Have the same issue, construction/upgrade works fine until you have a road network passing by and the trucks arhem tries to deliver. All of a sudden it breaks and get stuck. Commanding to build/upgrade with higher priority or pause/unpause don’t matter - Its still stuck. Canceled and repeated - Same issue, stuck with 1-2 of material x left. Dismantled the road passing by and rebuilt - No problems at all so its i would say 100% related to the trucks.

See trucks on the roads with goods in them, just standing there (and i had one truck station with 3 trucks total and yet i see far more on the road… its never more moving than the cap/built thoo).

Hope this helps with the bug hunt - If you want a save where it happened (several trucks standing) let me know and ill attach it here.

Running latest build on Epic

Hey @Rantoc, welcome to the forums! Thanks for the tip, we now have now logged an issues with truck pathing to connected buildings. I’ll keep trying for upgraded ones too.

Hello.
I had problem with defensive turret level(3). When i tried to switch it of, visiually it was dark but it was still rotating and middle barrel was iluminated, other turrets were working correctly. After reloading the game it was normal.
I saw that middle barrel of defensive turret(level3) is iluminated the same way as it is on and off. Is it intentional?
Sorry for my language. I’m still learning Englisch.

1 Like

@pokelpokel welcome to the forums! Thanks for pointing that out. I have noticed as well that the turret sometimes rotates when being upgraded. I’ll do some more investigating.

hey @R-Type - sorry to bump a fairly old thread. Could you include your graphics driver specs as well? We’re doing some testing on memory leaks and knowing what your machine specs are with regards to graphics driver would help a lot.

Nvidia Game Ready Driver 446.14.

NV System info:

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 06/25/2020 18:08:55
System name: WS1

[Display]
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
DirectX version: 12.0
GPU processor: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Driver version: 446.14
Driver Type: Standard
Direct3D API version: 12
Direct3D feature level: 12_1
CUDA Cores: 4352
Core clock: 1650 MHz
Memory data rate: 14.00 Gbps
Memory interface: 352-bit
Memory bandwidth: 616.00 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 43996 MB
Dedicated video memory: 11264 MB GDDR6
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 32732 MB
Video BIOS version: 90.02.17.00.BE
IRQ: Not used
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3
Device Id: 10DE 1E07 1E0710B0
Part Number: G150 0032

[Components]

nvui.dll 8.17.14.4614 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.14.4614 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll 8.17.14.4614 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll 8.17.14.4614 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll 8.1.940.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 8.1.940.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA Video Server
nvLicensingS.dll 6.14.14.4614 NVIDIA Licensing Server
nvDispSR.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA Display Server
nvDevToolS.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
PhysX 09.19.0218 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA CUDA 11.0.140 driver
nvGameSR.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 26.21.14.4614 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

For me the Memory-Leaks happens when slaves ehm… emplayees are assigned to do something.
The first few minutes after loading a game it’s “somewhat” playable, but every minute, even if doing nothing, it get’s worse. Massive Stutters and micro-freezes (i.e. everytime a worker has to pick up stuff from a mine, cleam waste etc.) and when you try to build anything the game just doesn’t respond anymore for up to MINUTES, esp when building Guns/Command centers. Try building 3-4 guns at once :stuck_out_tongue:
Memory usage hovers at about 3-3.5GB the whole time until at some point (can happen random but mostly after placing buildings/devices) the game decides it has had enough and just uses all available RAM within 2 seconds and ofc. has to be killed via taskmanager.

Latest save attached. (incl. all the .png files that don’t get deleted when removing saves from the game menu)

Oh i thought since everybody is talking About “The Last of Us 2” i’ll make a screenshot:

Title: The Last of THEM!

GameData.7z (4.0 MB)

1 Like