Windows Screenshots Cant Be Taken

Build Number / Patch Number: p21119-v1802-S

Type of Bug: Visual/Bug Reporting/Sharing

Blocking Progression: No

Result of Save/Load: No

Short description:

When trying to take a windows screenshot in the menu (or game in general), using Windows-Shift-S, it switches to windowed mode on desktop, then back to fullscreen again, and it isnt possible to take a windows screenshot at all.

Reproduction Steps:

• Use Windows 10 and open the game.
  • Have the game on fullscreen (and not your desktop resolution, may be necessary)
  • Press the key combo Windows-Shift-S to make a screenshot
  • Game drops to desktop/windowed mode and switches back
  • Screenshot UI never appears and is “skipped”

Hi @QuantaCat - this is the first time I’ve tried this and yeah you’re correct! It does seem that having your game at a lower resolution than your actual native resolution is a key step - is there a reason you’re running your game at a lower resolution than normal?

Yeah, performance, really. My main res is 4K, I run the game at 1440p so my framerate doesnt suffer too much.
I have an RX 580, not quite enough to run 4K smoothly on GPU heavy games.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll have a word with the programmer in charge of settings etc and see what can be done :slight_smile: I don’t know if I can say something will happen soon though :frowning: (I actually didn’t even know you could take screenshots like this on Windows, haha, I’ve always used ShareX)

Used to too, as alternative to the Snipping Tool, until they rolled that up into the windows screenshot feature. Dev myself so taking screenshots for testing is super important ;D

1 Like

@QuantaCat programmer said - it sounds like Windows thinks you’re alt-tabbing because you’re in fullscreen mode. He recommends you try running the game at 4k and setting the resolution scale to like 50% to get the desired performance.

Actually, if you could provide the name of any game that DOESN’T do this behaviour that you also play regularly, we’d like to have a look at it and see how they’re doing things… thanks for your help!

@byg_alexa Ill do you even one better, a game in UE4 that doesnt do that, and is still in early access: Satisfactory. Im sure the Coffee Stain guys are pretty helpful with that ;D

1 Like